1 Jan 2014

The Blank Pages of the New Year

It is First January, the first day of a brand new year.  A lot of people must have partied hard last night and many others must have preferred to sit at home, sleep on time and watch the sun rise in the morning.  I totally belong to the second category.

When I was a child, I would jot down all my resolutions beautifully on a chart paper, some suggested by mother, with a hope to stick to them. I would manage somehow till March, but forget all about them, thereafter. Initially, I was ashamed to discuss it with schoolmates believing myself to be the only one who lack that will power and determination, but gradually I learned it’s a problem all around the world. I learnt a New Year is not about the resolutions, but the hope it brings with it.

As a year ends, and a new begins, we hope to live a better life. We aim not only to forgive others, but forgive ourselves; perhaps the most difficult task yet. We aim for our own betterment and New Year celebrations comfort us by presenting an empty book of three sixty five pages. We resolve to correct ourselves, but if we fail, a hope to do the same next year remains. Perhaps, that is why we rejoice at its arrival. What disturbs me is, why not celebrate each day, every week, all month, throughout the year; this way! Every day, I can resolve again. As I take each day individually, I won’t feel the pressure of abiding by a rule all year, but only one day. Fulfilling them this way, would be easy. Life would be much happier if we wish Happy New Day, all the year. Why not let a new sunrise bring upon the same ray of hope, as the year?

Of course a new blank book is waiting to be written with a new story. But if it doesn't go well today, feel free to write upon a new twist, a new tale, in the very next page, buddy. After all, life is not just one story; it’s about a million of tales stitched together by one common character “you”. 
K.K. perfectly sings, ”Apne hisab se dil ki kitab pe kuch to naya likho”( on the book of heart,write something new according to your wishes)! If not today, then tomorrow, remember you have 365 chances…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave in your comments